Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Training plan

Today wasn't very special.  The best thing about today is that by Keiko's reaction when I say "you want it?" I can tell that the drive building is working.  She perks up when I say those three special words and goes consistently after the toy now.  I'm a little worried about being able to teach the retrieve as there is a small window you really have to work with when they're puppies and I'm afraid that by getting her at 4 months, I may be in the tail end of that window.  But we'll continue working and see how it goes.  I need to get another Wubba so that I can just trade her one for the other and I don't become the "bad guy" for taking the wubba way from her to throw it again. (For now anyway)

I have decided that I need a more concrete training plan as far as what I want to teach next and how I want to teach it.  I don't like to make training too regimented as far as this puppy stuff goes because I feel a lot of it should be integrated into play, as opposed to being structured teaching time...mostly because puppies at this age get bored FAST!  I will update this post after I've had a chance to jot down some notes regarding how I want to teach the "down", which I've decided is the next command I want to teach her.  I haven't fully deciphered the way Keiko's brain works; what makes her tick and what motivates her, so I'm going to wait until I have a better feel for her to teach "stay" and "come".  I am beginning to feel more bonded to her now though.  I was actually missing her while I was in class (first day of summer classes...ugh!) and at lunch with a friend today, and I felt a little more genuine when I loved on her when I first saw her today.  I think it's finally settling in that this is my dog that I bought with my money and I make all the rules concerning her!  Foreign concept, I know.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like so much fun. Making plans are always exciting because it provides future motivation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you're right! I was very motivated once I started jotting in my notebook! The funny thing is that I ended up doing something different from what I'd actually planned lol.

    ReplyDelete