Friday, August 14, 2009

RMBs

Raw Feeding Dictionary

RMB - "raw meaty bone"
Common RMBs:
chicken leg quarters, chicken/turkey necks, chicken backs, and many many more...

Raw meaty bones are commonly referred to as the "dessert" although really they hold the prime nutrition a dog receives when feeding a raw diet. They are referred to as dessert because many dogs will skip all other ingredients (veggies if you feed them, supplements, yogurt/probiotics, etc) in their bowls and only eat the tasty RMBs! Many raw feeders withhold the RMB until the dog has finished the rest of the meal, then place the RMB down for eating.

Keiko has eaten chicken legs, thighs, and turkey necks. The turkey necks have had mixed success for us (I've only tried them twice; once she ate it, the other time she didn't) but I've decided to put them on hold and save them as a "novel" protein - one Keiko has never really had before and something I can fall back on if I ever need to stop feeding protein sources she's had for whatever reason. I've posted a couple of photos below of Keiko eating a ~1/4 lb chicken leg. Sorry for the poor quality, I took them on my cell phone in poor lighting.

Photobucket


At this point in time, I'm beginning to introduce Keiko to beef through a beef premix made by the same woman who made the chicken premix I started her out on. Once her stomach settles on beef, I will be able to add small amounts of hamburger to her meals (of course with bone added) and that will serve as an additional protein source. If I save turkey for emergencies, then I plan on introducing Keiko to fish next and then rabbit. Stay tuned for photos and blog updates!

Disclaimer: At this point in time I am a "newb" to raw feeding. I have been feeding raw for almost three weeks and this is my first raw fed dog/puppy. As such, I should not be a prime source of information for someone looking to begin feeding a raw diet. I also post information as I understand it. I will do my best to be sure that the information I relay is 100% correct, and will also remain diligent in correcting what errors may be posted.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, you got me thinking about what I feed my cat. I've moved back to school and I was looking at different cat foods and I found one that is mostly meat based at Target - but it's $13 for #7! I chickened out (haha pun intended) of buying it.

    Glad you found some more info on this -

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I was planning on giving you a phone call, which I will do asap! (Lol about your pun!)

    ReplyDelete