Monday, May 18, 2009

Today we worked a little more frequently and deliberately on the sit. I want to begin having short, five minute training sessions with her so that I can get some real progress on commands underway. A huge problem I am encountering is that I haven't yet selected a name for her. I think it is hindering my training process. I just can't seem to settle on one. I need to stop being indecisive and pick one so that I can teach it to her tomorrow...that is my goal.

I am trying to take my own advice and relish on the baby steps forward we are making. This morning after our walk and breakfast, I crated her (this is when she'll be crated when I go to work for a few hours) and was able to go empty and refill the dishwasher with minimal crying on her part which eventually diminished as she fell asleep.

After feeding lunch, I took her to a friend's apartment complex where we met my friend (though I limited my friend's interaction with her for the time being) and where she also met her first dog since she's been in my possession. A guy was coming down the apartment stairs, moving some of his things out. Accompanying him was a female black lab, heeling naturally. I trusted her body language and the two met very well. I'm pleased with how the brief meeting went and am glad the dog had as good of a temperament as she did.

I then left her alone in the house (in her crate) for the first time while I ran to the bank and picked up something to eat for lunch. She was resting quietly when I returned home. I left her a second time for a slightly longer period of time when I went to get dessert with a friend. When I returned, she was again resting quietly. This is good news! I have to look at the positives as we move through the steps involved in crate training. I find that this is one of the areas where I am quicker to become frustrated and as such, I need to monitor my patience.

Tomorrow we were supposed to be taking a walk and meeting another dog but I'm not sure how or if that's going to go yet...we'll see.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, started reading again. I understand your struggle with patience!

    ReplyDelete